Website EPIC_4_Girls EPIC for Girls
Leveling the playing field for girls of color in sports.
Marketing & Communications Director
SALARY: $55,000 to $65,000
SUPERVISOR: Executive Director
JOB SUMMARY: The Marketing & Communications Director has the overall responsibility for leading the creation, planning and implementation of multiple forms of marketing and communications efforts. This person is responsible for building ongoing interest and support for EPIC for Girls programming, developing, and managing communications plans for initiatives, and building relationships and working with local media and community partners.
The Marketing & Communications Director will devise strategies and tactics, including producing content to help align the organization’s goals with the engagement of our diverse audiences, identify opportunities for EPIC for Girls to leverage strengths, take advantage of new opportunities and to address organizational and community challenges. Additionally, they will have management and oversight of the organizational brand, will build, and maintain internal & external communications systems, social media, and the organization website as well as implement communications procedures.
This position will execute all duties to ensure they meet the organization’s strategic, operational budget and annual goals. The Marketing & Communications Director will show initiative, have excellent verbal, written and personal communication abilities, and be highly organized. This individual must have confidence in developing and delivering diversity and inclusion communications, passion for the work of EPIC for Girls, and the ability to support a growing nonprofit.
The Marketing & Communications Director reports directly to the Executive Director. This position will work closely with the staff and community representatives to implement and manage effective marketing and public relations strategies to diversify and grow the base of volunteers, advocates and other support for EPIC for Girls’ programs and operations. Professionalism is an essential function of the Marketing & Communications Director.
Marketing & Communications Director Responsibilities
Primary focus and responsibilities of this position is to develop and implement an effective overall organizational and brand and marketing strategy through the following priorities outlined below:
Marketing, Public Relations and Advertising Efforts: Building and managing EPIC for Girls’ online presence, including website, e-newsletter, and social media. Drafting and distributing press releases and serving as media liaison for the organization. Coordinating outreach efforts supporting sports programming, community partners, funders, and donors. Manage advertising efforts and distribution of EPIC for Girls event information to relevant media –print, online, community calendars. Increase earned media opportunities.
Fundraising: Copyediting for fundraising programs and materials, including grant proposals and donor collateral. Writing and editing copy for special events and annual fundraising events. The Marketing & Communications Director will assist in securing media sponsorships for EPIC for Girls programming
Brand Management: Work closely in partnership with the Executive Director to design, implement and advance a refresh of the brand of EPIC for Girls, as needed. Produce and manage printed materials, printed letter copy, annual report, brochures, promotional materials, flyers, data sheets. Maintain and update website and oversee website design projects.
Program Input and Facilitation: Partner with the other departments and partners to help meet programming requirements. Partner with various departments and partners to represent EPIC for Girls with external audiences as needed. Creating ongoing dialogue on how the media plays a powerful role in the formation of prejudiced attitudes and beliefs with the goal to increase awareness and offer strategies that will discontinue contribution to the marginalization of gender, ethnic and cultural groups.
Administrative and Leadership Responsibilities
Budget: Work closely with the Executive Director to execute budget for each initiative and carry out the action steps necessary to achieve the specified goals and objectives within the approved budget. Consistently identify efficiencies in operations and opportunities to reduce expenses including negotiating contracts with vendors.
Leadership and Strategic Input: Liaise with Executive Director and other Directors to assist in the development of strategic plans for operational activity. Implement and manage communication plans. Provide leadership and input for all strategic plan implementation processes with the staff. As a member of the team, support all areas of programming, fundraising and staff development initiatives. Positively respond to requests for assistance and collaboration from the community and EPIC for Girls’ Executive Directors, staff, partners, and volunteers. Focus on continuous quality improvement and evaluation. Participate in training and/or continue education on relevant material for professional development. Tracking and evaluating data relating to communications
● Bachelor’s degree or three (3) to five (5) years of relevant work experience, or a combination of both.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPECTATIONS
● Sincere dedication to the mission and philosophy of EPIC for Girls.
● Knowledge of the organization’s primary proficiencies (e.g. research, education, advocacy, evaluation and grant making).
● Comparable experience within the area of diversity and human relations preferred.
● Extensive knowledge of the principles, practices and techniques of oral and written communications and interpersonal relations skills to foster effective relationships among staff, stakeholders, contractors, and the greater community.
● Skill in writing for a variety of audiences and environments. Skill in writing and editing news and feature articles. Ability to write/edit in a variety of writing styles, ability to draft materials on a wide range of topics. Strong editing and proofreading skills.
● Proficiency in graphic design and basic video editing. Ability to use software for in-house graphics production (e.g. CanvaPro, Photoshop, Illustrator).
● Experience in content and campaign creation for multiple social media platforms.
● Knowledge of fundraising techniques including, but not limited to proposal writing; public relations; and correspondence management.
● Professional level skills in proposal and publications development with writing and editing experience preferable for a nonprofit organization.
● Self-starter with strong organizational and time management skills.
● Desire to work as a member of a dynamic, mission-driven, growth-oriented team.
● Ability to manage and coordinate multiple tasks and balance long and short-term projects simultaneously with an emphasis on accuracy and efficiency.
● Ability to interact and co-exist respectfully with fellow staff members, volunteers, and community members from diverse backgrounds.
● Maintain the utmost confidentiality with regards to donors, programs, and Board communications.
INTERVIEW PROCESS AND TIME COMMITMENT
EPIC for Girls’ interview process is as follows:
15-minute telephone interview
60-minute panel interview, in-person or via Zoom
60-minute final interview in-person
Writing Exercise + Scenario Based Exercise may be included.
To apply please submit your cover letter, resume and at least one example each of writing and design to the following: [email protected].
EPIC for Girls is an equal opportunity employer.