Board Member Job Description
Our board performs essentially a legislative function. That is, it makes all policy decisions for the organization However, from time to time, the board may direct a poll of the membership when considered desirable as a guide to member opinion and interest.
Specifically the board shall:
- Set the overall policy, vision and mission for the organization.
- Determine the goals of the Chamber through its approved program of work
- Provide adequate funding through the annual budget to carry out the program of work.
- Establish the dues structure of the Chamber to support the program.
- Elect officers in accordance with the by-laws of the Chamber.
- Recommend and approve changes to the by-laws.
- Fill all vacancies that occur in its membership
- Meet as required by the by-laws, or at the call of the President, or on its own motion.
- Provide adequate facilities and equipment for Chamber operations.
As individuals, each director is expected to:
- Attend all meetings of the Board and not miss more than three (3) meetings a year.
- Provide financial support to the Chamber by joining the Chamber
- Help promote the chamber and recruit members
- Discharge fiduciary responsibilities
- Consult with the membership in order to be truly representative and communicate board action.
- Offer suggestions of persons who may be willing to serve on Chamber committees or task forces.
- Be available to assist with expertise, advice and guidance with projects, events, as needed.
- Provide “wise counsel”, i.e. unbiased insights and ideas from a third party point-of-view, on issues raised by the Chamber.
- Provide social networking platform for the Chamber.
- Encourage the development of a governance framework that enable sustainable growth of the Chamber.
- Perform such other duties, within his/her capabilities, as may be requested by the President.
Board Application Form
Form for interested parties to apply for Board Membership